What are Team Games?
PACE Team Games is a fun, unsanctioned competitive event which combines nosework with a collaborative element. A “team” consists of two dogs and two handlers. The human teammates can work together and strategize to achieve the best team result. Dogs are worked individually, but both humans may be present in a search.
Some searches will be performed by both dogs. Each dog may receive an equal amount of time (for example, each dog gets 3 minutes to work a search). It may be up to the handlers to decide how much time each dog works (for example, the team has 5 minutes to work an area, to be shared by both dogs).
Some searches will be performed by only one dog. Sometimes there are two single-dog searches and the dog that performs search A cannot perform search B. Therefore, the handlers must decide which dog is better suited to which search.
These are examples of some of the strategic decisions you will face in Team Games. Each Team Games event is unique and we’re always trying to come up with some fun new games and strategic twists!
- Big F*%@in’ Search (BFS): A PACE Team Games tradition! A giant search area with a generous time allotment to be searched by both dogs. Unknown number of hides
- Speed Search: One dog works an area with a very short time limit and a known number of hides. No 30 seconds warning.
- Land of No Return: One dog works multiple small search areas, but once you leave an area, you cannot return. Time keeps running as you clear areas.
- The Mystery Search: Another PACE Team Games tradition! No parameters until you approach the search area. One of both dogs may work this search.
- 5 points per unique find – if both dogs on a team find the same hide, it only counts for points once
- 5 points for calling finish within time – per dog
- 2.5 points for false alerts
- No point penalties for failing to call finish or for a dog eliminating in a search area (this does end the dog’s turn to search, however)
- Ribbons are awarded to the teams who place 1st, 2nd, and 3rd overall
- 1st place receives guaranteed entry into the next PACE Team Games event
- All teams who earn 70% or more of all available points (hides + finish calls), receive a Qualifying Score ribbon
- A special “Team Spirit” award may be given to the team who has the best team uniform or other display of team cohesion
Upcoming PACE Team Games Evnets
PACE Team Games: Spring 2019
Stay Tuned for FALL PACE Games Information!